Month Overview

Thursday, July 30, 2015

A Hot Hot Yoga Sesh

Hot Yoga Success


So after my motivational rant yesterday I figured I should probably practise what I preach and I am glad I did! There is a great hot yoga studio not far from where I live so yesterday me and one of my girlfriends decided to go for a Traditional Hot Yoga class.  Its 75 minutes long and it's the hottest studio in Calgary! I used to do it all the time but haven't for awhile. Last time I did this class I struggled to get through it! I haven't done Hot yoga since my first 10 km race.

I was prepping to do some serious mental training, especially when it's been so long since i did it last. I went super early to make sure I got a spot I was comfortable with and could see m positions clearly in the mirror.  As the class started I was feeling pretty good in my body! I had my self talk prepared and was determined to listen closely to what my body needs without pushing myself to hard.  I focused on my breathing and was surprised at how good everything felt.  I did struggle with some postures due to my very tight muscles and the fact that i am not flexible at all!

Usually when the standing series ends I have had to slow down or lay down at least twice... This time I didn't have to.  When we finished our last posture in the standing series I was feeling great, not exhausted, not dizzy and not over heated. My friend had to lay down a couple times but did so amazing! She also had already done a spin class that morning so kudos to her for a full day of working out!

For the second half of the class I got through every posture, even pushing myself further then I have in any other hot yoga class. I did however struggle with camel pose.  I have no idea why but that one makes me dizzy every time!  Any thoughts on why because I am not sure at all!


By the end I felt revived and wonderful! I didn't have to use any mental tricks to get my through this time! Moral of the story is running has been strengthening my brain without even knowing it! I was so surprised because I thought that I would be using yoga to increase my mental strength when in turn running is helping as well! I think we are all stronger then we think we are!

So all of you who question your strength mental or physical remember that!
You are stronger then you think, you just need to believe in yourself!

Hope you all have an amazing Thursday!




No comments: